Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- An MSU physicist believes he has solved the "black hole information paradox"
- What you can do to help Michigan's bats
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
Mon August 30, 2010
News roundup: August 30th
A 'Conventional' Weekend
The Democrats and Republicans both held their nominating conventions this weekend. The Republicans held their convention in East Lansing on Saturday and nominated Rick Snyder for Governor, State Representative Brian Calley for Lt. Gov., former appeals judge Bill Schuette for Attorney General, and Oakland County Clerk Ruth Johnson for Secretary of State. The Dem's held their convention in Detroit and nominated Virg Bernero for Governor, Southfield Mayor Brenda Lawrence for Lt. Gov, Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton for Attorney General and Wayne State University associate law professor Jocelyn Benson for Secretary of State.
August Auto Sales: Don't Get Your Hopes Up
U.S. automakers release their August sales numbers midweek. As Michigan Radio's Tracy Samilton reports, sales could be down by as much as 15% compared with the same time last year. Why such a difference? Three words: Cash for Clunkers.
DSO is a No-Go
Musicians in the Detroit Symphony Orchestra rejected rejected contract proposals over the weekend. The contract called for 29% pay cuts. The orchestra also authorized a strike. The DSO expects to lose $9 million this year.