Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Bill to pull the plug on telephone landlines clears Michigan Legislature
- How one Michigan church is changing its views on gay marriage
- Records may fall with the snow this week in Michigan
- This supplemental bill gravely endangers infant health and Michigan's future
- Join Michigan Radio for Issues & Ale: Closing the digital divide in education
Mon August 30, 2010
News roundup: August 30th
A 'Conventional' Weekend
The Democrats and Republicans both held their nominating conventions this weekend. The Republicans held their convention in East Lansing on Saturday and nominated Rick Snyder for Governor, State Representative Brian Calley for Lt. Gov., former appeals judge Bill Schuette for Attorney General, and Oakland County Clerk Ruth Johnson for Secretary of State. The Dem's held their convention in Detroit and nominated Virg Bernero for Governor, Southfield Mayor Brenda Lawrence for Lt. Gov, Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton for Attorney General and Wayne State University associate law professor Jocelyn Benson for Secretary of State.
August Auto Sales: Don't Get Your Hopes Up
U.S. automakers release their August sales numbers midweek. As Michigan Radio's Tracy Samilton reports, sales could be down by as much as 15% compared with the same time last year. Why such a difference? Three words: Cash for Clunkers.
DSO is a No-Go
Musicians in the Detroit Symphony Orchestra rejected rejected contract proposals over the weekend. The contract called for 29% pay cuts. The orchestra also authorized a strike. The DSO expects to lose $9 million this year.