A search for ex-Teamster boss Jimmy Hoffa was called off this afternoon, Joseph Lichterman of Reuters reported.
On Monday, authorities from the FBI began digging in Oakland Township, MI in search of Hoffa's body. Anthony Zerrili, an 85-year-old alleged mobster tipped off the agency, saying that Hoffa had been hit with a shovel and buried alive in a field near Detroit.
But the FBI stopped the search Wednesday afternoon, and just like so many times before, investigators came back empty handed.
As Lichterman reported:
"We did not uncover any evidence relevant to the investigation on James Hoffa," [FBI official Robert] Foley told reporters. "Of course we're disappointed."
Some 40 FBI agents were involved in the search, which covered an acre of the property, he said.
- Melanie Kruvelis, Michigan Radio Newsroom