Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Former Detroit broadcaster was inspiration for 'Ron Burgundy'
- Muskegon is home to America's tallest, singing Christmas tree
- Do you live in a 'Super ZIP?' Here are Michigan's top 5 wealthiest ZIP codes
- Pressure builds on Michigan Football as Athletic Department's budget grows
- This is what it sounds like inside Michigan's largest wind farm
Wed November 3, 2010
Peters declares victory in 9th district
It looks like Democrat Gary Peters has won another term in Congress.
With about 90% of precincts reporting, Peters holds a slim lead over his Republican challenger, Rocky Raczkowski.
Peters declared victory to a small crowd just before 2 am. He knows he's going back to a U.S. House with a new Republican majority, and says he hopes the next two years will show more cooperative spirit than the last two.
But he says it's now up to Congressional Republicans to lead the way.
“That’s the bottom line, I think. And two years from now the American voters will want to see…what have the Republicans done? Are they willing to work in a bipartisan way? And if they aren't, we could see a wave going the other way.
So it’s about coming together, solving problems and doing it in a cooperative way.”
Raczkowski thanked his supporters in the early morning hours, but didn't formally concede the race.
Raczkowski says the margin of victory is "razor thin" and he'll keep an eye on the numbers "to see how things turn out."