TransportationMany Michigan voters to decide whether to raise taxes to fix their community’s roads
Politics & GovernmentGOP establishment backs challenger in the 3rd district, but voters don’t seem to care
Politics & GovernmentThose who want to outlaw publications over sexually explicit ads should study Constitution first
Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Don't like the water shut-offs in Detroit? Now you can pay someone's overdue water bill
- Proposal 1 asks Michigan voters to weigh in on a complex tax issue
- Approaching construction on the highway? Experts say the "zipper merge" can help
- These three female candidates could be some of the most interesting leaders in Michigan
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
Politics & Government
Thu September 20, 2012
Political Roundup: Citizenship verification box?
Michigan Secretary of State Ruth Johnson is pushing for a citizenship verification box on the application for the November ballot. She says there could be an estimated 4,000 non-citizens registered to vote in Michigan.
A lawsuit has been brought to block the question from the ballot and some county clerks are refusing to put the citizenship question to voters.
“If you have reason to believe that you’re going to be tripped up as a non-citizen or fraudulent resident trying to vote, maybe you’ll turn around on your heel and leave the voting precinct,” said Bill Ballenger, Editor of Inside Michigan Politics.
Ballenger says on the one hand Democrats seek to encourage more voters, "do we encourage as many people to vote as possible at all times, even if we perhaps run the risk of allowing a few fraudulent or illegal voters to slip through the cracks and be able to vote...that's basically the Democratic side."
On the other hand,"The Republican side is, you know it's not just a right to vote it's a privilege and you should have all your papers in order...the lower the turn out for Republicans the better the results in almost ever election," he said.