Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- No, Chinese investors aren't 'buying up Detroit' – but they do have an eye on the Motor City
- If Arizona's bill to discriminate surprises you, you won't believe what's legal in Michigan
- The average Michigan family needs $52,330 a year to 'make ends meet'
- Watch a time-lapse video of the ice forming on the Great Lakes
- What all the snow and ice will mean for Great Lakes water levels
Tue July 19, 2011
Polls say voters optimistic about economy, negative about some politicians
The Lansing-based polling firm, EPIC-MRA, released a couple of polls today. 600 "likely Michigan voters" responded for each one (margin of error is +/- 4%)
One poll indicates that more voters are optimistic about the economy. From the Associated Press:
40%... say the state economy has bottomed out and is starting to improve, while a third say it has
bottomed out but isn't getting any better...
In May 2010, when Michigan's jobless rate was 2.5 percentage points higher than now, only 35% said the economy was starting to improve.
The other polls show Senator Debbie Stabenow's (D-MI) and Governor Rick Snyder's (R-MI) negative job ratings.
57% gave Governor Snyder a negative job rating.
51% gave Senator Stabenow a negative job rating.
From the Associated Press:
The poll released Tuesday says 38 percent gave the Democrat a positive job rating and 11 percent were undecided...
Stabenow's favorability rating was at 47 percent. Her unfavorable rating was 35 percent and 17 percent were undecided.
Senator Stabenow faces re-election in 2012. So far, the candidates who have lined up for the Republican nomination to challenge her are:
- John McCulloch - Oakland County Water Resources Commissioner
- Randy Hekman - Former West Michigan judge Randy Hekman
- Peter Konetchy - northern Michigan businessman
- Chad Dewey - a businessman who is a "self-described constitutional conservative."
Former Former Republican Congressman and gubernatorial candidate, Pete Hoekstra, is reconsidering his decision not to run against Senator Stabenow.