Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Power shift at Kendall College causing a stir
- This is what it sounds like when a neighborhood church closes
- Yo Yo Ma playing with Detroit kids might make your heart melt
Thu August 11, 2011
Port Huron parachute maker to hire 275 people
Business is about to get much better for a Port Huron Company -- and it needs about 275 workers, fast.
GMA Cover Corp. makes cargo netting and parachutes.
The company just got a big military contract to make about 20,000 parachutes in the next six months, so GMA needs people with sewing experience.
"It’s primarily sewing, but good teamwork," says GMA Vice President Nicole Verkindt. "There’s a lot of material handling, as well. We’re also looking for some engineers. We’re in the process of hiring a CFO, HR manager, IT manager. So we really need more muscle all around."
Verkindt says the sewing jobs will be temporary and pay less than $10 to start, but people with the best skills will be hired full time, with benefits.
GMA Cover Corp. is located at 2440 20th Street, Port Huron. Applications must be made in person.