Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Michigan Athletic Department embarrasses while trying to fill seats
- Honeybees collaborate with Kalamazoo artist on ArtPrize exhibit
- Who is Mark Schauer, really?
- Does the UAW's victory in Indiana signal the end of the two-tier wage system?
- Truth Squad rules "flagrant foul" on teachers' union ad, warns Snyder campaign
Thu October 13, 2011
President Obama to attend MSU basketball game played on aircraft carrier
President Barack Obama will attend a basketball game between Michigan State University and North Carolina. The game will be held on the deck of the USS Carl Vinson on Veteran's Day (11-11-11).
The game is being branded as the "Quicken Loans Carrier Classic" and it's billed as the "first ever carrier to host a Division 1 college basketball game."
From the Washington Post:
Obama is expected to lay a wreath at Arlington National Cemetery in honor of Veterans Day and then travel to San Diego for the game.
“This Veterans Day, President Obama will honor our nation’s veterans by laying a wreath at Arlington National Cemetery and then by traveling to San Diego, California, to attend the Carrier Classic on the deck of the USS Carl Vinson,” the White House said in a statement. “He looks forward to a great game between Michigan State and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.”
The nuclear powered aircraft carrier is famed for being the carrier from which Osama bin Laden's body was buried at sea. The game will be broadcast on ESPN.