Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- An MSU physicist believes he has solved the "black hole information paradox"
- What you can do to help Michigan's bats
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
- Join the Great Michigan Read story-writing contest
Fri April 29, 2011
Pure Michigan ad: Live the "artful" life in Grand Rapids
Pure Michigan's latest ad features the city of Grand Rapids.
The new commercial paints Grand Rapids as the state's 'go to' place for arts and culture, with lines like "where food is art, and music flows in every color imaginable; let's start living the artful life."
Alex Fluegel is with the Arts Council of Greater Grand Rapids. She says she's not surprised the ad promotes the city's arts community, what with its landmark Calder sculpture, the state’s only professional ballet company, and of course ArtPrize. But, she says, "that’s not to say there aren’t other cities with flourishing arts communities."
Grand Rapids isn’t the only city with a Pure Michigan ad. The ad for Ann Arbor talks about the city’s “unique” quality, Flint is depicted as “diverse," and Detroit is characterized as “a city with something for everyone.”
Since its launch five years ago, the Pure Michigan campaign has attracted seven million out-of-state visitors to Michigan.