Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Budget deficit forcing school officials to close Albion High School
- The top 10 high schools in Michigan (according to two magazines)
- You have to see this stunning video of Michigan's Northern Lights
- Are people in Ironwood really afraid of wolves? (part 2)
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
Thu December 15, 2011
Reconfiguring Lansing schools
Lansing public schools may soon undergo a big shake up.
The plan on the table would affect most children in the school district.
The Lansing public school district has about half the student population it once had. The district is looking at ways to trim its budget in the short term and stabilize its future finances.
A special task force has been meeting since this summer to come up with ways to address the district’s problems.
The plan the board of education will see tonight proposes closing a high school and reconfiguring the district’s elementary and middle schools.
The plan also addresses ways to improve academic performance among Lansing public school students. The plan calls for offering preschool and developmental kindergarten to 3 and 4 year olds.