Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
- Power shift at Kendall College causing a stir
- This is what it sounds like when a neighborhood church closes
Wed December 8, 2010
Rep. Fred Upton to chair powerful Congressional committee
Michigan Republican Congressman Fred Upton of St. Joseph will head the House Energy and Commerce Committee in the next legislative session. The GOP won control of the House of Representatives in the November election.
The House Republican Steering Committee made the announcement yesterday.
As The Detroit Free Press explains, the committee, "oversees energy policy, automobile regulations, health care, food safety and more."
In a statement released yesterday, Upton said:
I look forward to standing shoulder to shoulder with Speaker Boehner, Leader Cantor, Whip McCarthy and the entire Republican Conference as we repeal Obamacare, fight rampant job-killing regulations, cut spending, and help put folks back to work.
Upton has served on the committee since 1991.