Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Bill to pull the plug on telephone landlines clears Michigan Legislature
- How one Michigan church is changing its views on gay marriage
- Records may fall with the snow this week in Michigan
- This supplemental bill gravely endangers infant health and Michigan's future
- Join Michigan Radio for Issues & Ale: Closing the digital divide in education
Mon May 16, 2011
Repealing Michigan's emergency financial manager law
A group announced plans today to ask voters to repeal Michigan's Emergency Financial Manager law. Recent changes to the law give broad powers to state appointed financial managers. The EFM's have the authority to void union contracts and strip power from local elected governments and school districts.
Brandon Jessup leads a group called 'The Campaign to Build Michigan'. He says the law violates the rights of Michiganders. Jessup says his group hopes to get approval for petition language next month.
He says they hope to collect enough signatures to get the question put on the ballot in 2012.