Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Power shift at Kendall College causing a stir
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
- This is what it sounds like when a neighborhood church closes
Mon May 16, 2011
Repealing Michigan's emergency financial manager law
A group announced plans today to ask voters to repeal Michigan's Emergency Financial Manager law. Recent changes to the law give broad powers to state appointed financial managers. The EFM's have the authority to void union contracts and strip power from local elected governments and school districts.
Brandon Jessup leads a group called 'The Campaign to Build Michigan'. He says the law violates the rights of Michiganders. Jessup says his group hopes to get approval for petition language next month.
He says they hope to collect enough signatures to get the question put on the ballot in 2012.