Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- 8 Mile Road is eight miles from where?
- Sure, there were pirates in the Caribbean, but the Great Lakes had them too
- Some in Ann Arbor have "cultural" concerns about annexing Whitmore Lake
- Has public education funding gone up or down under Gov. Snyder's watch?
- Analyzing Sunday's debate between Governor Rick Snyder and Democratic challenger, Mark Schauer
Mon January 24, 2011
Report: GM to add more jobs at Flint Assembly Plant
Update 11:30 a.m.:
Steve Carmody called in with this update from the news conference:
GM announced that it will add 750 jobs to its Flint Assembly Plant by adding a third shift. No new hires will be made. The pool of workers will come from two places:
- people being reactivated from various layoff pools
- workers who would like to return to Flint after they were transferred to another plant
GM is planning a news conference at 10:30am this morning.
Governor Rick Snyder and GM's North America President, Mark Reuss will be in attendance.
Michigan Radio's Steve Carmody is there covering the news conference as well and will have an update.
The Associated Press quoted an anonymous source yesterday saying GM is expected to announce the addition of more jobs at the plant:
General Motors Co. will add a shift and more than 650 jobs at its assembly plant in Flint where it makes the hot-selling GMC Sierra and Chevrolet Silverado pickup trucks, a person familiar with the plan said Saturday. The move is yet another sign that truck sales are on the rise for the recovering automaker.