Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- An MSU physicist believes he has solved the "black hole information paradox"
- What you can do to help Michigan's bats
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
Sun September 30, 2012
Report: More Michigan ex-cons killing after leaving prison
LANSING, Mich. (AP) - More and more Michigan ex-cons are killing people after they leave prison, a problem that the state Department of Corrections and its employees union blame on each other.
The Detroit Free Press says 88 probationers or parolees committed 95 homicides in 2010 through Aug. 31, 2012. Ex-cons under state supervision killed 21 people in 2010, 38 in 2012 and 36 in the first eight months of 2012.
Michigan has cut corrections spending under budget pressures. It operates 31 prisons and employs 15,000 people, with a $2 billion annual budget.
About 51,000 people are on probation and 18,000 on parole in Michigan.
Killings blamed on ex-cons who weren't appropriately supervised include that of 80-year-old Nancy Dailey, stabbed in her Royal Oak home by parolees Alan Wood and Tonia Watson.
Information from: Detroit Free Press, http://www.freep.com