Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Budget deficit forcing school officials to close Albion High School
- The top 10 high schools in Michigan (according to two magazines)
- You have to see this stunning video of Michigan's Northern Lights
- Are people in Ironwood really afraid of wolves? (part 2)
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
Mon May 7, 2012
Saluting Michigan's fallen police officers
The haunting sounds of bagpipes echoed in the halls of the state capital this evening.
Police officers from across the state gathered inside the capital rotunda for the 19th annual Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Service.
The ceremoney honored a half dozen police officers from Michigan or with ties to Michigan who died in the line of duty last year. Nationwide, 163 law enforcement officers were killed on the job last year. Already this year, 2 Michigan law enforcement officers have died on the job.
“The loss of these officers is a testament to the dangers and realities of police work," says Colonel Kristie Kibbey Etue, the director of the Michigan State Police.
National Police Week begins May 13th.