Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
- What explains Michigan's large Arab American community?
- Some think their immigrant ancestors were the last that should be allowed in the U.S.
- Michigan Republican Party's tactics remind me of Watergate, because both were unnecessary
- Michigan's campaign for governor gets weird as Republicans deploy spyglasses
Wed July 13, 2011
Services for Betty Ford to be held tonight and tomorrow
The body of former first lady Betty Ford is being moved to Michigan for a service, according to the Associated Press.
From the AP:
The body of Betty Ford was placed on an Air Force jet for a final trip to Michigan, where the beloved
former first lady is to be laid to rest next to her late husband, President Gerald R. Ford.
Ford's mahogany casket, covered in flowers, was placed aboard the jet often used by Vice President Joe Biden shortly after 10a.m.
Wednesday for the four-hour flight to Grand Rapids, Mich.
Also boarding the jet were more than a dozen family members.
After a service Thursday, Ford is to be buried next to her husband at his presidential museum.
Former President George W. Bush, first lady Michelle Obama, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton and former first ladies Nancy Reagan and Rosalynn Carter were among 800 people at a Tuesday service in Palm Desert for Ford.
Here's information on the services being held, care of the Ford Presidential Library and Museum:
Beginning Wednesday night, July 13th, former First Lady Betty Ford will lie in repose at the Gerald R. Ford Museum.Public viewing will begin at 7:00 p.m.Wednesday and end at 11:00 p.m., then start again at 7:00 a.m. on Thursday and end at 10:00 a.m. For more details click here.
Reporter Dustin Dwyer will be covering the events in Grand Rapids tonight for Michigan Radio. He will have a report for us tomorrow morning.
-Brian Short, Michigan Radio Newsroom