Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- This mom didn't know why her family was sick until she checked their water
- This Michigan-bred musician nails 29 celebrity impressions in one song
- Here's how to test and treat your drinking water well for arsenic
- The polarizing reactions to the 'Hobby Lobby' case are more frightening than the Cold War
- Charter school supporters’ response to investigations is "Soviet" in style
Fri September 23, 2011
Snyder to promote Michigan agricultural products on Asian trip
Gov. Rick Snyder departs Saturday on a week-long Asian trade mission with stops in Tokyo, Beijing, Shanghai and Seoul.
The governor will attend a meeting of the Japan Midwest U-S Association early next week. His itinerary also includes lots of private meetings with business executives in Japan, China, and Korea.
But the governor says he does not anticipate many big announcements.
“In terms of specific deals to be announced, I don’t have high expectations there," Snyder says. This is more about starting the relationships and looking six months, a year out – do those result after follow-up, subsequent meetings, discussions, more investments or more exports?”
The governor is expected to focus heavily on promoting Michigan agricultural exports on the trip.
The China leg of Snyder’s trip will be the first by a Michigan governor to the country since Gov. John Engler made a visit 12 years ago.