Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- There's a tick boom in Michigan - Here are 5 things you should know
- Students aren’t leaving Michigan football - Michigan football is leaving them
- The 6 most dangerous neighborhoods in Michigan
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
- You need to see these photos of the pet coke piles in Detroit
Sat January 1, 2011
Snyder sworn in as governor
Rick Snyder begins his new job as Michigan Governor. Snyder took the oath of office on the steps of the capitol under sunny skies and and falling temperatures.
Following his campaign theme, Governor Snyder outlined four goals as he called for Michigan to reinvent itself.
“We will be a globally competitive leader in innovation. Number two: we will create more and better jobs. Number three: we will create a bright future for our young people. And finally, we will do this together and not leave some behind,” Snyder said during his inaugural address.
Saying the state could no longer be divided by politics and geography, the Republican governor asked Democratic Mayor of Detroit David Bing to be the Master of Ceremonies at the inauguration.
Besides the governor, statewide elected officials including the Lieutenant Governor, Secretary of State and the Attorney General were sworn in.