Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Former Detroit broadcaster was inspiration for 'Ron Burgundy'
- Do you live in a 'Super ZIP?' Here are Michigan's top 5 wealthiest ZIP codes
- Muskegon is home to America's tallest, singing Christmas tree
- Pressure builds on Michigan Football as Athletic Department's budget grows
- This is what it sounds like inside Michigan's largest wind farm
Tue July 9, 2013
South Manitou Island prepares for special lighthouse tours
To many in Michigan and the tourists who visit, the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore is one of the most beautiful parts of "Pure Michigan." In fact, ABC’s Good Morning America called the Sleeping Bear Dunes the most beautiful place in America.
Part of that National Lakeshore is South Manitou Island. And some people with very special ties to South Manitou Island have been very busy getting the place spruced up and polished for a special day tomorrow.
Pat Kelly is the granddaughter of James Putnam-Burdick, who was the longest-serving lighthouse keeper on South Manitou Island, and she joined us today from South Manitou's ranger station.
Listen to the full interview above.
Environment & Science