Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
- Don't like the water shut-offs in Detroit? Now you can pay someone's overdue water bill
- Approaching construction on the highway? Experts say the "zipper merge" can help
- Some think their immigrant ancestors were the last that should be allowed in the U.S.
- Michigan Republican Party's tactics remind me of Watergate, because both were unnecessary
Thu March 17, 2011
Spartan Motors to build delivery vehicle; 450 new jobs expected
A mid-Michigan company is expanding and expects to hire hundreds of people in the next few years.
Spartan Motors in Charlotte builds chassis for fire trucks and ambulance, recreational vehicles, armored vehicles and drilling rigs.
Now it’s going into the delivery vehicle market in a partnership with Isuzu.
The van will be called “The Reach" and it’ll be used by companies like UPS and Federal Express.
Russell Chick is with Spartan Motors. He says production should begin in 2012, adding about 450 jobs.
"That's where we expect to go as the program ramps up, so initially the numbers won't be that significant, but our expectation is that it will increase over time," Chick says.
He says most of the jobs will be in production.