Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Revisiting the origin of the "Michigan Left"
- Here are 10 West Michigan trails to explore this fall
- Does the UAW's victory in Indiana signal the end of the two-tier wage system?
- Governor Snyder is fighting a losing game in Aramark scandal
- Here's how Michigan taxpayers came to own the designs for the original World Trade Center
Mon August 20, 2012
Spirit of Detroit statue shows off school spirit
The Detroit school district has kicked off its fall enrollment drive in a big way, draping a 300-square-foot T-shirt over the Spirit of Detroit statue in front of city hall.
Leaders of the Detroit Public Schools are working to attract families to the district's new buildings and stabilize attendance that has seen losses to charter and suburban schools.
The T-shirt with the slogan "I'm in" was unveiled this morning and will decorate the statue through Sept. 4.
The unveiling ceremony included a performance by the Martin Luther King High School marching band, just back from its appearance at the London Olympics.