Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- No, Chinese investors aren't 'buying up Detroit' – but they do have an eye on the Motor City
- The average Michigan family needs $52,330 a year to 'make ends meet'
- Here are our 10 favorite photos of what your winter looks like
- Michigan's Attorney General is risking his political future over the gay marriage case
- What all the snow and ice will mean for Great Lakes water levels
Wed March 20, 2013
Spring? What spring? Michigan's official groundhog issues apology for bad call
Woody says she's sorry.
She got it wrong.
Woody lives at the Howell Conference & Nature Center and is Michigan's official groundhog. She predicted an early spring back on Groundhog Day. Spring arrived today -- with snow flurries and temperatures in the 20s.
Dick Grant is Woody's interpreter.
"It takes a big woodchuck to admit that she's wrong," says Woody's interpreter, Dick Grant. "And Woody came out today and said 'I'm sorry. I missed it. We all make mistakes.' And it looks like we have gone through six more weeks of winter."
In her defense, Grant says Woody is right 75 percent of the time.
"She is 10 for 15 even with this miss this year," Grant says. "So that's still not too shabby."
Woody correctly predicted the Baltimore Ravens would win the Super Bowl.
However, Grant says Woody will not venture into March Madness territory.