Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- No, Chinese investors aren't 'buying up Detroit' – but they do have an eye on the Motor City
- The average Michigan family needs $52,330 a year to 'make ends meet'
- If Arizona's bill to discriminate surprises you, you won't believe what's legal in Michigan
- What all the snow and ice will mean for Great Lakes water levels
- Here are our 10 favorite photos of what your winter looks like
Wed January 22, 2014
Stabenow concerned about security at Winter Olympics
Michigan Sen. Debbie Stabenow is joining other members of Congress who are expressing concern about security at the Winter Olympic games next month in Russia.
There are concerns that the games face an unprecedented terrorist threat level.
Stabenow says Russian authorities have not shared enough of their security plans for the games.
“Certainly we’re going to be doing everything humanly possible to protect our athletes and working closely with the Russians,” says Stabenow, “But we have to be on high alert.”
The Obama administration plans to have U.S. warships in the Black Sea in case there is a need to evacuate U.S. Olympic team members during the games.
Several athletes from Michigan are on the U.S. Olympic team, including members of the men’s hockey team and ice dancing skaters.