Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
- Don't like the water shut-offs in Detroit? Now you can pay someone's overdue water bill
- What explains Michigan's large Arab American community?
- Some think their immigrant ancestors were the last that should be allowed in the U.S.
- Michigan Republican Party's tactics remind me of Watergate, because both were unnecessary
Wed January 22, 2014
Stabenow concerned about security at Winter Olympics
Michigan Sen. Debbie Stabenow is joining other members of Congress who are expressing concern about security at the Winter Olympic games next month in Russia.
There are concerns that the games face an unprecedented terrorist threat level.
Stabenow says Russian authorities have not shared enough of their security plans for the games.
“Certainly we’re going to be doing everything humanly possible to protect our athletes and working closely with the Russians,” says Stabenow, “But we have to be on high alert.”
The Obama administration plans to have U.S. warships in the Black Sea in case there is a need to evacuate U.S. Olympic team members during the games.
Several athletes from Michigan are on the U.S. Olympic team, including members of the men’s hockey team and ice dancing skaters.