Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
Thu June 21, 2012
State hopes to keep Ann Arbor tent city shut for good
State officials are preparing to cordon off a stretch of highway median near Ann Arbor to keep the homeless out.
As AnnArbor.com's Ryan Stanton reports, the site is home to Camp Take Notice, a homeless community encampment that is scheduled to be shut down tomorrow. To make sure it remains unoccupied, the Michigan Department of Transportation, which owns the land, is erecting an 8-foot fence around the 9-acre site.
MDOT and the state housing authority, Stanton says, are working to provide camp residents with rent assistance and, in some cases, help moving into subsidized housing, but authorities have made it clear that residing at the campsite is no longer an option.
"We've been hearing from the community and from Camp Take Notice that the homeless have been using this area for a long time as a makeshift home," [an MDOT regional manager, Mark] Sweeney said, adding there have been complaints from nearby residents that the homeless have left the area a mess.
"We really wanted to resolve the issue once and for all," he said. "So after the camp is closed, we'll be closing off the area."
Sweeney added, "It's not against Camp Take Notice specifically, but more to prevent a homeless encampment of any kind in this location."
Earlier this year, Michigan Radio's Mercedes Mejia visited Camp Take Notice and spoke with residents about life there. You can see a video of those conversations below:
-John Klein Wilson, Michigan Radio Newsroom
Camp Take Notice