Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Budget deficit forcing school officials to close Albion High School
- The top 10 high schools in Michigan (according to two magazines)
- You have to see this stunning video of Michigan's Northern Lights
- Are people in Ironwood really afraid of wolves? (part 2)
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
State of Opportunity
Wed August 29, 2012
State of Opportunity: Michigan's most disturbing disparity
In Grand Rapids, African American infants are just slightly more likely to survive to their first birthday than infants born in the Gaza Strip. Six years ago, Grand Rapids had the worst infant mortality rate in the state. Today, it is sixth.
Listen to Michigan Radio's State of Opportunity reporter Dustin Dwyer's story, in which he seeks to find answers to these alarming statistics. He also highlights programs like Strong Beginnings, which seeks to lower the disparate mortality rates of African American infants but is at risk of being cut.
-Jordan Medina, Michigan Radio Newsroom