Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- There's a tick boom in Michigan - Here are 5 things you should know
- Students aren’t leaving Michigan football - Michigan football is leaving them
- The 6 most dangerous neighborhoods in Michigan
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
- You need to see these photos of the pet coke piles in Detroit
State of Opportunity
Wed August 29, 2012
State of Opportunity: Michigan's most disturbing disparity
In Grand Rapids, African American infants are just slightly more likely to survive to their first birthday than infants born in the Gaza Strip. Six years ago, Grand Rapids had the worst infant mortality rate in the state. Today, it is sixth.
Listen to Michigan Radio's State of Opportunity reporter Dustin Dwyer's story, in which he seeks to find answers to these alarming statistics. He also highlights programs like Strong Beginnings, which seeks to lower the disparate mortality rates of African American infants but is at risk of being cut.
-Jordan Medina, Michigan Radio Newsroom