Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- An MSU physicist believes he has solved the "black hole information paradox"
- What you can do to help Michigan's bats
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
Politics & Culture
Mon October 7, 2013
Stateside for Monday, October 7th, 2013
A recent report from Moody's suggests the future is very uncertain for public universities. Today we talked about the future of public universities in Michigan.
And, poet Keith Taylor stopped by the studios to introduce us to some Michigan must-reads for the month of October.
Also, despite our troubled economy, Michigan franchises are going strong. We spoke to DBusiness editor R.J. King about the 2013 Michigan Franchise Report.
First on the show, it’s Day Seven of the partial government shutdown.
U.S. Treasury Secretary Jack Lew is warning that lawmakers are “playing with fire” and he’s asking Congress to pass legislation to re-open the government, and to increase the nation’s debt limit.
Lew says President Obama has no intentions of linking either bill to Republican demands to change the health care law.
This comes as Republican House Speaker John Boehner rules out a House vote on a temporary spending bill without concessions from the President.
So, that’s where things stand as the government shutdown moves into its second week. Michigan Democratic Representative Dan Kildee joined us from D.C. to discuss the issue.