Today on Stateside:
- The official name for it is the "plan confirmation hearing," but the commonly used term is “Detroit’s bankruptcy trial.” And it starts today.
- It's back to school for students all across the state, many of whom will be meeting new teachers for the first time. Are great teachers born or trained? We took a look at what actually makes a good teacher through the book Building a Better Teacher: How Teaching Works (and How to Teach it to Everyone).
- We'd like to think issues are what matter in political campaigns. But when you're a female candidate, that's not always the case. Are women in politics covered with an unfair amount of "snarkiness"?
- Interlochen Public Radio’s Linda Stephan reported on a debate up north over smoking among the mentally ill.
- One of Michigan's leading quilting shows is canceling its October event. We found out why.
*Listen to the full show above.