Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- There's a tick boom in Michigan - Here are 5 things you should know
- Students aren’t leaving Michigan football - Michigan football is leaving them
- The 6 most dangerous neighborhoods in Michigan
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
- You need to see these photos of the pet coke piles in Detroit
Mon February 11, 2013
Stateside: Use your words
The following is a summary of a previously recorded interview. To hear the complete segment, click the audio above.
According to a new study published in Elementary School Journal, the vocabulary lessons our children are getting in grade school fall woefully short of giving students the range and scope of words they need to become good, effective readers throughout their lives.
Tanya Wright is an Assistant Professor of Teacher Education at Michigan State University. She spoke with Cindy about the study and what it could cost our kids to be saddled with a deficient vocabulary.