Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Michigan Athletic Department embarrasses while trying to fill seats
- Honeybees collaborate with Kalamazoo artist on ArtPrize exhibit
- Who is Mark Schauer, really?
- Does the UAW's victory in Indiana signal the end of the two-tier wage system?
- Truth Squad rules "flagrant foul" on teachers' union ad, warns Snyder campaign
Wed October 16, 2013
Sterling Heights has a multilingual driving school
Anyone who lives in Michigan knows you are at a real disadvantage if you don’t have a driver’s license.
But, let’s say you are an Iraqi who has fled to the U.S. to escape the violence. You’re trying to launch your new life here and you need a way to get to a job or get your kids to school. You need a driver’s license, but you haven’t lived here long enough to get fluent in English. So how do you get on the road?
That’s where you might turn to John Bitti. He runs the Madamma Driving School in Sterling Heights, and he teaches would-be drivers in English, Arabic, or Chaldean.
Listen to the full interview above.