Arts/Culture
5:04 pm
Tue March 1, 2011

Striking Detroit Symphony Orchestra musicians offer to return to work

Striking musicians with the Detroit Symphony Orchestra say that after five months on the picket line, they’re willing to come back to work without a contract.

The musicians say they’ll go back on stage “immediately and unconditionally” if Orchestra management agrees to binding arbitration.

The musicians propose that its union and Orchestra management each pick one arbitrator.

The two people selected would then pick a third arbitrator to hear the case. All three would make a final decision on contract terms.

Musician’s spokesman Joe Pituch says both sides will get a chance to make their case. But he says players just want the strike to end and “salvage what’s left of the season.”

 “We do not think that would be a stumbling block. That if it does comedown to that, it is very possible that we will come back to the final offer they gave us.”

The DSO had cancelled the rest of the season last month, after players rejected what management called its “last offer.”

DSO officials did not immediately respond to the offer. But they issued a statement saying they “welcome receiving the union’s proposal.”