Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- An MSU physicist believes he has solved the "black hole information paradox"
- What you can do to help Michigan's bats
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
Thu September 22, 2011
Tax evasion charges filed against former Kilpatrick fund-raiser
A fund-raiser for former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick has been charged with income tax evasion.
More from the Detroit Free Press:
Another person with close ties to ex-Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick is facing federal criminal charges.
Emma Bell, Kilpatrick’s longtime fund-raiser, was charged today in federal court with two counts of income tax evasion for allegedly failing to report more than half a million dollars she received from Kilpatrick’s inaugural and mayoral campaign committees, and the Kilpatrick Civic Fund.
Bell is expected to plead guilty and is cooperating. A plea date has not yet been set.
The Detroit Free Press reports that it is unknown whether Bell will testify against Kilpatrick in the federal corruption case against the former Detroit Mayor.
Earlier this month, Derrick Miller, a former aide to Kwame Kilpatrick pleaded guilty to corruption charges and is expected to testify against his former boss.
Kwame Kilpatrick and Derrick Miller were indicted on corruption charges last December along with three other people:
- Bernard Kilpatrick (the former Mayor's father),
- Bobby Ferguson (city contractor and friend),
- and Victor Mercado (former head of the Detroit Water and Sewarage Department).