Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- An MSU physicist believes he has solved the "black hole information paradox"
- What you can do to help Michigan's bats
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
- Join the Great Michigan Read story-writing contest
Sun December 18, 2011
Tiger cub exhibit called off at West Michigan mall
A newspaper reports a tiger cub exhibit has closed at a Grand Rapids mall after public complaints and a planned protest. The Grand Rapids Press reported Friday that mall officials canceled the touring display that allows shoppers to play with and be photographed with the cubs for a price.
Sarah Hale tells the newspaper she had planned a protest for Saturday against the exhibit but called it off.
Mall manager James Fowler says the exhibit has come to the mall several times before without incident but he asked the handlers to leave after he heard complaints and learned of the protest.
Big Cat Rescue Entertainment President Joe Schreibvogel says the aim of his operation is to teach people about saving animals and "there's nothing abusive to what we're doing."