My colleague Michigan Radio reporter Steve Carmody passed along this study from the Nielsen Company:
So how are we spending our time online? (hint: you "like" it). From the report:
Americans spend more time on Facebook than they do any other U.S. website.
Here's the top ten:
- 22.5 percent of our online time is spent on social networks and blogs
- 9.8 percent online games
- 7.6 percent e-mail
- 4.5 percent "portals"
- 4.4 percent videos/movies
- 4.0 percent search
- 3.3 percent instant messaging
- 3.2 percent software manufacturing
- 2.9 percent classifieds/auctions
- 2.6 percent on current events and global news
Nielsen reports that Tumblr is an emerging social network nearly tripling its unique U.S. audience over the last year.
Does the Tumblr design look somewhat familiar to you?