Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- An MSU physicist believes he has solved the "black hole information paradox"
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
- What you can do to help Michigan's bats
Public Insight Journalist
Essay/Analysis: Sports Commentator
Host, Stateside with Cynthia Canty
Mid Michigan Reporter/Producer
That's What They Say
Sarah Cwiek - Detroit Reporter/Producer
Assistant News Director
Essay/Analysis: Political Commentator
Weekend Edition host
MPRN Capitol Reporter
Host - Middays
Reporter / Producer - Michigan Public Radio Network
Host - Morning Edition
West Michigan Reporter/Producer
Arts, Culture & Education Reporter/Producer
Host - All Things Considered
Reporter/Producer - The Environment Report
Mon August 30, 2010
Top 5 things from Michigan's political conventions
By Mark Brush
- The Tea Party flexed its muscle. Michigan Public Radio Network's Rick Pluta and Laura Weber report, "A defiant effort to put a tea party candidate for lieutenant governor on the ticket instead of Snyder's choice of state Representative Brian Calley stopped the convention in its tracks. Party leaders tried to restore order ... Snyder got his choice, but only after the tea party candidate ended the insurgent effort by withdrawing."
- "People power vs. Pundit Power." Polls show he has a long way to go to catch Rick Snyder, and some pundits don't think he can make up the ground. The Associated Press reports that Virg Bernero entered the convention to the theme of Rocky saying "we knew better then, and we know better now. We know that 'people power' beats 'pundit power' every time."
- Two Mayors make up the Dems ticket. Democratic Gubernatorial candidates Virg Benero selected Southfield Mayor Brenda Lawrence as his running mate. Craig Ruff said in The Lansing State Journal ""My rule is nobody votes for lieutenant governor. What you want is a safe choice, somebody who won't embarrass you, won't be a distraction to your campaign. From all accounts, she'll be able hold her own in a debate between her and Brian Calley."
- Similar logos? The Michigan Republican Party's logo looks inspired by another successful logo
- "The Constitution made me do it." You can't vote in the primaries for certain offices because the Michigan Constitution says candidates must be selected at political conventions.