Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Power shift at Kendall College causing a stir
- This is what it sounds like when a neighborhood church closes
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
Wed February 15, 2012
Top Wayne County employee charged with extortion and other charges
A top aide to Wayne County executive Robert Ficano is facing federal extortion and bribery charges
Tahir Kazmi is Wayne County’s Chief Information Officer. He’s been in that job since 2008, though he is currently on leave.
Federal prosecutors charged Kazmi this week with pressuring a county vendor to lie to FBI agents investigating possible corruption in Wayne County government. Kazmi also allegedly demanded cash and expensive trips in return for county contracts.
Kazmi and another Wayne County employee are charged with obstruction of justice as well.
This is just the latest revelation from an ongoing federal probe into the Wayne County government. The investigations began after questions were raised about a lucrative severance package given to a former top county employee.