The University of Michigan has announced the speaker for its Ann Arbor commencement ceremony next month.
According to a press release from the university, graduates will hear an address from Dr. Sanjay Gupta, the chief medical correspondent at CNN, a practicing surgeon, and a UM alumnus who was raised in Novi.
The U of M press release describes Gupta as:
A neurosurgeon who has excelled in his medical specialty and has become one of the most recognized public health experts in the world because of his reporting on health care and the medical and human crises that are at the heart of natural and man-made disasters. He currently is the chief medical correspondent for CNN, also holding the titles of assistant professor of neurosurgery at Emory University School of Medicine and associate chief of the neurosurgery service at Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta.
The university plans to award Gupta an honorary doctorate of humane letters along with five others listed in the press release:
- Maestro José Antonio Abreu, a world-renowned pianist, educator and economist.
- J. Ira Harris, U-M alumnus and a leader in the world of finance.
- Susan Orlean, U-M alumna and acclaimed author.
- Richard Sarns, a pioneer in biomedical engineering.
- Chris Van Allsburg, U-M alumnus, and celebrated artist and author.
-John Klein Wilson, Michigan Radio Newsroom