Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Former Detroit broadcaster was inspiration for 'Ron Burgundy'
- Pressure builds on Michigan Football as Athletic Department's budget grows
- Muskegon is home to America's tallest, singing Christmas tree
- Do you live in a 'Super ZIP?' Here are Michigan's top 5 wealthiest ZIP codes
- Tribal sovereignty at issue in US Supreme Court case out of Michigan
Public Insight Journalist
Essay/Analysis: Sports Commentator
Host, Stateside with Cynthia Canty
Mid Michigan Reporter/Producer
Sarah Cwiek - Detroit Reporter/Producer
Morning Edition Producer
Assistant News Director
Essay/Analysis: Political Commentator
MPRN Capitol Reporter
Host - Middays
Reporter / Producer - Michigan Public Radio Network
Host - Morning Edition
West Michigan Reporter/Producer
Arts & Culture Reporter/Producer
Host - All Things Considered
Reporter/Producer - The Environment Report
Mon July 25, 2011
UM Flint secures $2.1 million for nursing programs
By Mark Brush
UM Flint received around $2.1 million in grants from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services for nursing programs geared toward minority groups.
The university highlighted three programs that will receive funding.
- $1.2 million will go to a program call UM-FIND (UM-Flint Initiatives for Nursing Diversity) to continue its work aimed at "increase nursing education opportunities for students from disadvantaged backgrounds." The grant provides funding to the program for the next three years.
- $700,000 will go to UM-FISCUP (UM-Flint Initiative to Strengthen Care to Underserved Populations). The program educates graduate nursing students about poverty and health care disparities among medically underserved populations. "It will allow an increase in student clinical placements with underserved populations and in the number of minority nurse practitioners, and that will lead to improvements in the by and large health of Flint and Genesee County residents."
- $221,000 will be used for scholarships for disadvantaged student scholarships and $32,000 will be used for graduate student stipends for Nurse Practitioner and Nurse Anesthesia students.