Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Former Detroit broadcaster was inspiration for 'Ron Burgundy'
- Muskegon is home to America's tallest, singing Christmas tree
- Pressure builds on Michigan Football as Athletic Department's budget grows
- Why this 20 year old is getting a mastectomy, and why she's not alone
- Tribal sovereignty at issue in US Supreme Court case out of Michigan
Mon November 29, 2010
Unless Congress acts, thousands of Michiganders will lose jobless benefits this week
Jobless benefits will expire for tens of thousands of unemployed Michiganders this week unless Congress approves an extension.
Many of those losing their benefits are expected to turn to Michigan food banks and other non-profit groups.
"Those safety nets are really not prepared to take on all of these extra families," says Judy Putnam, with the Michigan League for Human Services."
Congressional Democrats are expected to try again this week to pass another extension of unemployment benefits. Republicans oppose the extension, unless Democrats agree to cut spending elsewhere in the federal budget.
GM invests more for Chevy Volt