Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
- What explains Michigan's large Arab American community?
- Some think their immigrant ancestors were the last that should be allowed in the U.S.
- Michigan Republican Party's tactics remind me of Watergate, because both were unnecessary
- Signed a petition to oppose Asian carp? You actually signed a petition to allow wolf hunting
Mon November 29, 2010
Unless Congress acts, thousands of Michiganders will lose jobless benefits this week
Jobless benefits will expire for tens of thousands of unemployed Michiganders this week unless Congress approves an extension.
Many of those losing their benefits are expected to turn to Michigan food banks and other non-profit groups.
"Those safety nets are really not prepared to take on all of these extra families," says Judy Putnam, with the Michigan League for Human Services."
Congressional Democrats are expected to try again this week to pass another extension of unemployment benefits. Republicans oppose the extension, unless Democrats agree to cut spending elsewhere in the federal budget.
GM invests more for Chevy Volt