Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- There's a tick boom in Michigan - Here are 5 things you should know
- Students aren’t leaving Michigan football - Michigan football is leaving them
- The 6 most dangerous neighborhoods in Michigan
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
- You need to see these photos of the pet coke piles in Detroit
Thu April 28, 2011
U.S. Treasury Secretary to visit Southeast Michigan
U.S. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner will visit Michigan today. He'll make an appearance at the Detroit Economic Club. Geithner will speak with Detroit's political, business and community leaders about the economy, the Associated Press reports. From the AP:
Geithner's appearance Thursday afternoon is part of the Detroit Economic Club's 2010-11 meeting season.
President Barack Obama swore Geithner in as the 75th treasury secretary in January 2009. He was deeply involved in the negotiations that led to billions of dollars in government loans being given to General Motors and Chrysler.
Detroit and Michigan have suffered as much as any city or state economically over the past few years. Thousands of workers have been laid off as businesses have been forced to close or downsize.