Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Power shift at Kendall College causing a stir
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
- This is what it sounds like when a neighborhood church closes
Thu May 12, 2011
Warren mayor declines to reveal age
The mayor of Michigan’s third-largest city is refusing to reveal his age, saying he fears ageism could play a role in his reelection bid. But that may not be the whole story.
Jim Fouts served on the Warren City Council for 26 years and was elected mayor in 2007.
But his age is a bit of a mystery.
Michigan Department of Education records show Fouts was born in 1942. His driver's license shows 1944 -- and that's the date he entered on official documents when he ran for public office.
Attorney Arthur Garton says Fouts may have broken the law.
"Two years is really negligible, but if you read the affidavit, it says you fill this out accurately under penalty of perjury, Garton says. "And he chose to fill in 1944."
It should be noted Garton is a partner in a law firm with Kathy Vogt, who's on the Warren City Council and is challenging Fouts in the mayoral race.
Fouts did not respond to a request for an interview.