Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- 8 Mile Road is eight miles from where?
- Sure, there were pirates in the Caribbean, but the Great Lakes had them too
- Some in Ann Arbor have "cultural" concerns about annexing Whitmore Lake
- Analyzing Sunday's debate between Governor Rick Snyder and Democratic challenger, Mark Schauer
- Has public education funding gone up or down under Gov. Snyder's watch?
Wed August 21, 2013
What's the view of Detroit from 'Up North?'
In the five weeks since Detroit filed for bankruptcy, there has been much conversation, much reporting, much editorializing.
What does it mean? Who will be affected? How can Detroit turn itself around? A lot of opinions, and a lot of views.
One view we have not gotten yet on Stateside is the view of the Detroit bankruptcy from "Up North."
That's something we remedied today as we welcomed Ken Winter, former editor and publisher of the Petoskey News-Review and member of the Michigan Journalism Hall of Fame.
And, freshly returned from his trip to the Upper Peninsula, where he was able to get an up-close take on the UP's view of Detroit, Michigan Radio's political analyst Jack Lessenberry also joined the discussion.
Listen to the full interview above.