Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Take it from this "Trustafarian," these judgy maps are meant to make us laugh
- Green goo growing in Lake Erie is not what you think it is
- The new right-to-farm requirements and backyard animals
- Lawmakers vote to allow wolf hunts in UP
- Workers in Minnesota see wage gains, while workers in Michigan see steady wage losses
Mon May 5, 2014
When traveling, do you say you're from Detroit?
Even before Detroit got itself an emergency manager and became the biggest city in American history to declare bankruptcy, the headlines and images coming out of the Motor City have been pretty grim.
And, as travelers abroad are discovering, that has led to all kinds of encounters with "the locals" when they discover you're from Detroit.
So, do you tell them that you're from Detroit, or do you hide it?
That's the question posed by Detroit Free Press travel writer Ellen Creager.