Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Power shift at Kendall College causing a stir
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
- This is what it sounds like when a neighborhood church closes
Tue November 5, 2013
Where are the women in Michigan politics?
On this Election Day - Here's a question worth exploring: where are the women in Michigan politics?
The number of women in the State Legislature has now dropped to a 20 year low. There are only four women serving in the Senate, and 24 in the House.
And that puts Michigan at 36th in the nation in terms of female State Senators and Representatives.
And when you look to Washington, the gender ratio in Congress isn't much better.
Barb Byrum joined us today. She’s the Ingham County Clerk, and she served in the State House of Representatives from 2007 to 2013.