Wixom man charged with multiple felonies in I-96 shooting case
The Wixom man thought to be responsible for a series of shootings along the I-96 corridor was charged Wednesday with multiple weapons-related felonies.
From the Detroit Free Press:
Raulie Wayne Casteel, 43, was arraigned in 53rd District Court on charges of assault with a dangerous weapon, carrying a weapon with unlawful intent and intentionally discharging a weapon from a motor vehicle, and on three counts of possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony.
Bond was set at $2 million cash surety.
Investigators said they believe Casteel is responsible for 24 shootings since mid-October in Oakland, Livingston, Ingham and Shiawassee counties. Oakland County Undersheriff Michael McCabe said other charges are expected in additional jurisdictions this week.
Details released about Casteel's arrest suggest that a breakthrough in the case was made during a reinterview with one of the shooting victims.
The victim identified a state-issued Michigan State University license plate on the suspect's black, four-door car.
This information led to a raid on Casteel's home, where police found two handguns. The weapons are undergoing forensic testing, the Free Press reports.
Casteel, an MSU graduate, lives in Wixom with his wife and pre-school age daughter. Relatives have reported that the suspected shooter may have been suffering from mental illness.
From the Detroit News:
Casteel's aunt Cynda Warth of Owosso told The Detroit News earlier this week that her nephew suffered from paranoia, believing the government was after him. "All he talks about is the government," she said. "The kid has problems. He's not all there."
Warth said Casteel's wife and parents tried to get him medical help. He visited doctors on two occasions but received a clean bill of health, she said.
During his arraignment, Casteel said that he understood the charges against him, and non-guilty pleas were made on his behalf.
- Jordan Wyant, Michigan Radio Newsroom