Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- An MSU physicist believes he has solved the "black hole information paradox"
- What you can do to help Michigan's bats
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
Wed July 6, 2011
Youngstown mayor will lead President's office for auto communities
The mayor of Youngstown, Ohio is the new head of a government office that helps communities hurt by cutbacks in the auto industry. Mayor Jay Williams starts as head the Office of Recovery for Auto Communities and Workers in August.
"I know firsthand the adverse impact an auto plant’s closing can have…not only on the families…who work there…but also on the prosperity of the local community and our national community as a whole.”
Labor Secretary Hilda Solis made the announcement today in Flint. Solis says although the auto industry has made a comeback, many communities still need federal help including money to retrain workers.