Lilies are popular home decorations this time of year. But the plants are highly toxic to cats.
Ingesting any part of a lily can cause kidney failure in cats, and can be fatal without emergency treatment.
Symptoms include vomiting, lethargy, and a lack of appetite.
Dr. Jennifer Aschenbrener is a veterinarian with Irwin Avenue Animal Hospital in Albion. She says it’s important to contact your veterinarian immediately if you think your cat has eaten part of a lily.
"They will most likely have you try to get induced emesis, which is vomiting, which also can be done at the vet clinic. Basically the biggest thing is to get the lily out of the system," she says. "Without treatment, and sometimes even with treatment, it can be fatal. So it’s very serious."
That’s not the only harmful Easter tradition. Local animal advocates are warning against giving bunnies, chicks, and ducks as presents. Many of the animals end up in shelters once the novelty wears off.
-Alex Markel, Michigan Radio Newsroom