FLINT, Mich. (AP) - There is no direct deposit this week for teachers and other employees in the Flint school district.
They were required to pick up their check in person Friday as the struggling district confirms that it's paying people who actually work. Spokesman Brian Smith tells The Flint Journal it's too early to know if any problems were uncovered.
He says there might be legitimate reasons for someone who didn't pick up a check.
FLINT, Mich. (AP) - The University of Michigan-Flint is responding to a growth in its engineering program by investing in high-tech equipment for the students.
The Flint Journal reports that engineering enrollment has doubled since 2008 and now stands at 320 students. To meet the demand, the school has acquired a $75,000 microscope that magnifies objects 60,000 times and expects to get a $100,000 three-dimensional printer. The department also is hiring two new professors.
Flint’s emergency manager says a special blue ribbon committee looking at ways to better run the city should continue to meet behind closed doors.
Emergency Manager Darnell Earley appointed the 23 member committee this month. The panel will be meeting for the next several months to study how best to run the city. And those meetings are taking place behind closed doors.
Flint school officials have until Wednesday to deliver a new deficit elimination plan to the Michigan Department of Education.
Flint School Board members tonight will review an agreement calling for a 19% compensation cut to school district employees. Specific wage and benefit cuts will be worked out during the next several months.
The wage and benefit concession was announced last week. The cuts would begin in July and last until 2018, when Flint School District officials project the district will have eliminated its multi-million dollar deficit.
Flint has seen a drop of more than 20 percent in the number of murders this year compared to last year's all-time high of 67.
Unless there is a new murder on New Year's Eve, Flint will close 2013 with 52 homicides. That is the lowest number since 2009.
James Tolbert is Flint's chief of police. He attributed the decrease to increased patrolling, use of data to target hot spots of criminal activity, and increased arrests of those with outstanding warrants.
What was once the tallest building in Flint is now just a pile of rubble. This morning, 1,000 lbs. of explosives brought the building down. Demolition crews spent weeks preparing the building to be imploded.
The 19-story Genesee Towers building has stood in the heart of Flint’s downtown for the past 45 years. But a series of explosions brought the building down in a matter of seconds.
When the dust settled, all that was left was a pile of rubble.
The long-empty Genesee Towers has been emblematic of Flint’s economic woes.
“Essentially it’s both a physical barrier and a psychological barrier,” says Dave Lurvey, the demolition project manager. “I think that building being down on the ground is going to help people focus on progress rather than blight.”
The tall pile of rubble will remain on the site through the holidays.
The cleanup probably won’t be complete until the spring.
Developers plan to turn the site of the former office building into a downtown park.
Flint’s tallest building is going to be demolished this weekend.
Experts have spent weeks preparing the 45 year old building for Sunday morning’s implosion.
The 19 story Genesee Towers has been an empty eyesore in downtown Flint for years. The city acquired the building in 2010 and sold it to the Uptown Reinvestment Corp., the city’s downtown development agency, in 2012.
General Motors plans to make a “significant manufacturing” announcement in Flint today.
General Motors officials have declined to say what they plan to announce at the Flint Assembly plant.
But they have confirmed that Governor Rick Snyder and GM North America President Mark Reuss will be there.
The announcement in Flint coincides with an appearance by outgoing GM CEO Dan Akerson at the National Press Club in Washington D.C., where he’s scheduled to speak on the automaker’s plans for future investment in the U.S.
The automaker announced today that it will sponsor Flint’s “Back to the Bricks” car show for the next five years. The show features hundreds of ‘classic’ cars and trucks.
“This is an event that is more than just a car cruise and a car show,” says GM spokesman Tom Wickham, “It brings people into a community…provides an economic boost to a community and we need an economic boost.”
About a half million people attended Back to the Bricks in Flint this year.
Flint’s tallest building will come crashing down close to Christmas.
Officials announced today, the 19-story Genesee Towers building will be imploded on December 22nd at 10am.
Built in 1968, the building suffered decades of neglect. The office tower has sat mostly empty for more than a decade. The city eventually condemned the building. A judge ordered the city of Flint to purchase the 45-year-old building in 2007.
The city sold the Genesee Towers for a dollar earlier this year, clearing the way for the building’s demolition next month.
The Flint School Board will hear the findings of the district’s most recent audit this evening.
The audit is expected to show continued problems with misspent funds, lax oversight and other issues.
“Our students deserve the very best and we’re definitely going to do that. In order for us to do that, we’re going to have to turn this district around,” says Larry Watkins, Flint’s interim school superintendent.
FLINT, Mich. (AP) - Construction crews have started to put up plywood to protect nearby buildings in anticipation of the mid-December demolition of Flint's tallest building.
Uptown Reinvestment bought downtown Flint's 19-story Genesee Towers from the city for $1.
MLive.com says plywood protection is going up at the nearby C.S. Mott Building, and Flint officials say two nearby streets have been closed and fenced off in the past week and will stay closed into the spring.
WEYI-TV reports that the new owners plan to transform the site into Exploration Park.
FLINT, Mich. (AP) - A newspaper reports that Flint is spending less time and money investigating arsons and making fewer arrests for the crime even though the city leads the nation in arsons per capita.
Flint’s police chief says violent crime is down in his city, despite the city reaching a grim milestone this past week.
Last Sunday, 16 year old Wesley Gillmore became the 50th person murdered in Flint this year. Flint has notched at least fifty homicides in each of the last four years. The city set a record with 67 murders in 2012.
Still police Chief James Tolbert says Flint’s violent crime rate is improving, down 29% in the last 11 months.
To keep that downward direction, Tolbert says the public’s help is needed.