WUOMFM

stalking

Allen Allen / Flickr Creative Commons HTTP://MICHRAD.IO/1LXRDJM

Survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking would get more support under a package of five bills introduced in the state House.

Supporters say the goal of the legislation is to fill gaps in state law that leave survivors without adequate protection.

"Every survivor should have the resources they need to put their lives back on track without fear of intimidation as the try to move forward," said Rep. Kristy Pagan, D-Canton.

Domestic abuse survivor Nicole Beverly is fighting to keep her ex-husband Kevin Beverly in prison as his parole date is approaching.
Stateside Staff / Michigan Radio

Update October 20, 9:30 a.m.:

Nicole Beverly took the stand yesterday to testify against her ex-husband, and saw the man who has threatened her life and the lives of their sons for the first time since he was sent to prison for stalking her in 2012.

After her testimony, Ann Arbor District Judge Karen Quinlan Valvo ruled that there is sufficient evidence for Kevin Beverly to stand trial against the new charges brought forward by Attorney General Bill Schuette. Those charges include witness intimidation and extortion.

Domestic abuse survivor Nicole Beverly is fighting to keep her ex-husband Kevin Beverly in prison as his parole date is approaching.
Stateside Staff / Michigan Radio

There's been an important development in the story of Nicole Beverly.

Beverly is the Ypsilanti mom who spoke to Stateside last month, describing the abuse she's suffered from her ex-husband Kevin Beverly even as he's been serving a five-year prison sentence for aggravated stalking.

Wikimedia Commons

Stories like that of Nicole Beverly, whose abusive husband is set to be released from prison in August despite alleged threats to kill her and her children, are nothing new for Barbara Niess-May, executive director of SafeHouse Center in Ann Arbor.

“Her story is common, in that there are many survivors who find themselves needing to relocate because of the assailant,” Niess-May said. “What’s uncommon is the fact that she has gone public with her story.”

(photo by Steve Carmody/Michigan Radio)

Hundreds of people banned from the University of Michigan campus may soon be able to walk again freely on the Ann Arbor campus.  More than 2 thousand people landed on U of M’s lifetime campus ban list during the past decade for a variety of offenses.  

In the past, if you landed on the list, you had little chance of ever getting permission to walk again on the Ann Arbor campus.