It was a close call for Freedom House , the one-of-a-kind Detroit shelter that provides housing, legal aid and a host of other services to help asylum seekers. Its doors were in danger of closing after its annual grant from the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) was slashed by more than half.
News Headlines from NPR
- This Week In Race: ICE Sends Chills Across US, Kaepernick, Others, Write Big Checks
- State Department Set To Certify Keystone XL Pipeline Is In National Interest
- GSA Says Trump D.C. Hotel Lease Is Valid, Despite Ban On Elected Officials
- Obama: 'America Is Stronger Because Of The Affordable Care Act'
- The Reality Show No One Was Watching