Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Budget deficit forcing school officials to close Albion High School
- The top 10 high schools in Michigan (according to two magazines)
- You have to see this stunning video of Michigan's Northern Lights
- Are people in Ironwood really afraid of wolves? (part 2)
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
Environment & Science
Sat July 14, 2012
2 sturgeon found washed ashore off Lake Huron
The Times Herald in Port Huron reports that a Lakeport resident found a 3-foot-long sturgeon this week on a beach.
The newspaper reports that a 4-foot-long sturgeon also washed ashore in Fort Gratiot, northeast of Detroit.
Michigan Natural Resources fisheries biologist Mike Thomas says it's not unheard of for small numbers of the fish to wash up in one week, but he is "kind of watching what's going on."
Thomas says he will begin an investigation if a dozen or so of the large fish begin to turn up over the next week or so.
He says dead lake sturgeon have turned up in larger numbers before, but that was linked to botulism.