Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
- Don't like the water shut-offs in Detroit? Now you can pay someone's overdue water bill
- Approaching construction on the highway? Experts say the "zipper merge" can help
- Some think their immigrant ancestors were the last that should be allowed in the U.S.
- Michigan Republican Party's tactics remind me of Watergate, because both were unnecessary
Thu June 12, 2014
The best places for vacation in Michigan aren't on the "top 10" lists
Michigan destinations are working their way into these lists: Saugatuck was voted No. 1 Summer Weekend Escape in America in a recent USA Today reader poll. And a somewhat obscure Upper Peninsula drive got on a top 10 "Best U.S. Road Trips" list.
Ellen Creager, a Detroit Free Press Travel writer, says the big reason for the publicity is the Pure Michigan campaign. However, don’t limit yourself to “Cool Places to Visit” lists when choosing your next Michigan vacation spot.
“The media is full of lazy copycats, so if somebody reads about Saugatuck on one best list, they are more likely to put it on another best list,” Creager says.
Creager says if you are looking for a good vacation spot and want to escape the crowds, look at the top 10 lists and don’t go there. These places are more likely to be crowded in June and July.
Creager’s hidden gems list includes Lumberman’s Monument and Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Center.
*Listen to full interview above.